Release Date: February 14, 2017
Author: C.J. Redwine
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Length: 432 pages
An epic fantasy inspired by the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale, about a bastard princess who must take on an evil fae to save her brother’s soul, from the New York Times bestselling author of The Shadow Queen.
The world has turned upside down for Thad and Ari Glavan, the bastard twins of Súndraille’s king. Their mother was murdered. The royal family died mysteriously. And now Thad sits on the throne of a kingdom whose streets are suddenly overrun with violence that he can’t stop.
Growing up ignored by the nobility, Ari never wanted to be a proper princess. And when Thad suddenly starts training Ari to take his place, she realizes that her brother’s ascension to the throne wasn’t fate. It was the work of a Wish Granter named Alistair Teague, who tricked Thad into wishing away both the safety of his people and his soul in exchange for the crown.
So Ari recruits the help of Thad’s enigmatic new weapons master, Sebastian Vaughn, to teach her how to fight Teague. With secret ties to Teague’s criminal empire, Sebastian might just hold the key to discovering Alistair’s weaknesses, saving Ari’s brother—and herself.
But Teague is ruthless and more than ready to destroy anyone who dares stand in his way—and now he has his sights set on the princess. And if Ari can’t outwit him, she’ll lose Sebastian, her brother...and her soul.
Music is a huge part of my writing process. I have a playlist developed for every book I’ve written, along with playlists in development for quite a few future projects as well! Listening to the same songs in the same order works like a Pavlov’s dog syndrome for my brain. It’s an instant shortcut into the world of the story. You can visit my Spotify profile to listen to the full Wish Granter playlist, or any of my other lists. https://open.spotify.com/user/1213294486
Here are a selection of songs from THE WISH GRANTER’s playlist that are particularly meaningful to the book.
- Distant Memories by Nox Arcana: This is the first song on the playlist, and it served to immediately ground me into the atmosphere of the story. There’s a haunting solemnity to it that conjured up the creeping fear that began to take over the kingdom of Sundraille as Alistair Teague took control.
- Snuff by Slipknot: This is the song I listened to when I needed to get into Sebastian’s head. He was terribly abused by his father, and he wants nothing more than to escape the city of Kosim Thalas, live in solitude, and never become the man his father is. While the second verse doesn’t apply to his situation, the overall atmosphere of the song is perfect.
- This Night by Black Lab: Another song for Sebastian. This one was perfect for figuring out who he was becoming as his friendship with Ari developed, and as he decided that getting involved with the terrifying danger he’d been hoping to run from was worth it if it meant he could save her.
- Centuries by Fall Out Boy: This is the song that I listened to as I wrote Teague’s scenes. He’s a dangerous immortal fae, and he’s been alive for centuries, so there’s that correlation. But more importantly, he is determined to be untouchable, all-powerful, and remembered for ages as the most ruthless creature to ever draw breath.
- I Dare You by Shinedown: This is the song I listened to for Ari. She’s so forthright, so confident, and so unflinching when it comes to doing the right thing. And she’s the kind of girl who will rise to the occasion, no matter what it costs her.
- Follow You Down by Shinedown: Romance! This is the song for Ari’s and Sebastian’s sweet, slow-moving romance, and it epitomizes the fierce loyalty that is the heart of their relationship.
About the Author:
C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and Sherlock. She is the author of the Defiance trilogy, a post-apocalyptic fantasy from Balzer + Bray. C.J. lives in Nashville with her husband and children. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com Where you can find C.J.:
1 winner will receive a signed paperback of THE SHADOW QUEEN and a signed Hardback of THE WISH GRANTER, US Only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway